Monday, August 25, 2003

Well folks, we're back. Thanks for feeding the pets and getting in the mail.
We didn't actually go anywhere as such, rather were swept off the net by the persistant and oft' annoying demands of the REAL world. Still, here we are.

I'm not so sure about the instant noodles I'm eating at the moment...they are a soupless instant noodle that one tops with mayonnaise and mustard out of a squirty-pack affair when ready to eat. They seem to be sticking to my insides in quite, quite unpleasant way. Hmmm. In current news, a 1.5m crocodile was caught two towns over in the rice fields...not a daily occourence to be sure...them not being native and all.

My International Drivers Licence expires next week, and I have to change it over for a Japanese one. This involves trips to three seperate offices, including the killer one; the actual licensing center, where I have to ring up and make an appointment for a DAY, not part of a day... a DAY. You turn up at 8:00 and they promise to see you AT SOME STAGE between then and 4:00 in the afternoon...("The offender is described as a bureaucratic nightmare posing as a First World, High-Tech economy..."). Still, should give me a chance to brush up on my "waiting-in-line" skills.

We had a visit this past weekend from my erstwhile host brother, from my one year jaunt as an exchange student over here many, many moons ago. We never really saw eye to eye during the time and I was a little concerned that initial niceties may dissolve into some hardcore uncomfortable silences. Happily surprised I was to find him (as am I) a completely different person and some not-as-uncomfortable-as-previously-expected times were indeed had.
We strolled off to our local fun times a-go-go locale, the Riverside Mall and went to see the Hulk. Now I have been waiting for this wee number for quite some time. I have fond memories of Dr. David Banner and his unfortunate run-in with near-lethal doses of Gamma Radiation (and the end theme...on the piano? wow.) I was excited about Ang Lee directing it. I was excited about Eric Bana playing the big green chap. I was a shade disappointed. The nods to the comic boook genre were appreciated to be sure, the CGI was pretty nuts, I just felt it could have been a little better. Thats all. There, I've said it.
Next day, after receiving an impassioned plea from Norihiko (for that is his name) to go and see some more movies (he has two kids and made note of the fact that if he sees one more mermaid, magical horse, talking teddy bear or juggling jungle beast he will not be held accountable for his actions) we went to see Terminator 3. Which was sold out. So we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean (Quick poll: Cari-BEE-in, or Carib-i-in?) Now. I'm a chap who likes my Pirate adventures (an underexplored genre in recent times to be honest) to be swashbuckling. More of the Swashbuckle. Less of the not-Swashbuckle.

it was good.

Get along and see it. Leave your rolling of the eyes and your "Johnny Depp? A Pirate?" and your "Disney?" and your "Berin thought it was good and he's a tool" at the door and get along in there.

me hearties.
aaaaaaarrrrr. cap'n.

On that note, I'm going to drag myself out the door and go and do something productive with the day. Toodle-pip.

No comments: